ABOUT CENTRAL NETWORK RETAIL GROUP
Central Network Retail Group, LLC (CNRG) is a multi-format, multi-brand company operating more than 80 hardware stores, home centers and lumberyards, with 970 full time and 567 part time employees. Founded in 2011, CNRG’s vision is to bring together the best businesses in the home improvement industry to take advantage of collective strengths, particularly through supply chain relationships and shared administrative expenses.
Disparate HR and benefits systems created mountains of paper, inefficiencies and noncompliance
When CNRG was founded in 2011, it used separate benefits administration and human resources systems. Employees signed up for benefits on paper forms and payroll was handled separately. They needed a solution that:
- Offered cloud-based, secure, easy access for employees and administrators anywhere, anytime
- Included intuitive tools for administrative team members, with a single point of entry for applicant tracking, hiring, onboarding, terminations, time and attendance, payroll and compliance
- Eased onboarding for acquisitions & new applicants
- Streamlined and integrated payroll with benefits and other HR systems
- Improved reporting and analytics and provided automated custom reports
- Gave employees convenient, mobile access, self-service functionality for benefits elections, and visibility into pay history, benefits documents and employee self-reviews
Selected PlanSource to implement unified benefits and HR technology
- In 2013, under the guidance of its broker partner, Strategic Benefits Design, CNRG implemented PlanSource for benefits administration.
- This took CNRG off paper for benefits, but its other HR systems were still incompatible with each other.
- In 2015, CNRG chose PlanSource to run all its remaining HR systems, including payroll, time and attendance, applicant tracking, onboarding and ACA compliance.
- Once the decision was made, the CNRG & Strategic Benefits Design team acted quickly. CNRG signed with PlanSource in June of 2015 and made a plan to get the entire system up and running in six weeks, so that it would be ready for August Open Enrollment.
PlanSource technology gives CNRG one source for HR and benefits management
Since implementing benefits technology from PlanSource, CNRG has enrolled 1,517 employees. The enrollment process, which previously left HR teams drowning in paperwork, is now done online. With PlanSource human capital management suite, CNRG has a 360 degree view of all their HR and benefits interactions, resulting in:
- Smooth payroll — Payroll took two full days and required HR teams to plan vacations around days when payroll was computed. It can now be done in less than an hour. Payroll is fully integrated with benefits so deductions are correct and automatically added; W-2s and paystubs are instantly accessible.
- Compliance made easy — noncompliance issues are now a thing of the past for CNRG, with fully integrated tools to stay compliant with the Affordable Care Act, OSHA, DOT, COBRA and other regulations.
- Easy Open enrollment — employees can shop for and get enrolled in benefits anywhere, anytime, and have access to built-in educational tools and customized materials.
- Employee Benefit Plan Visibility — with increased visibility around benefit plans, communication and education has increased to help ensure employees are getting the coverage that is right for them.
- Simplified hiring and separation — when a person joins or leaves CNRG, their information only needs to be entered or removed from one place, and updates are automatically made to their benefits, payroll, and other systems.
- Better scheduling and less overtime — with built-in scheduling and protocols for time management, CNRG was able to cut overtime by 50% in just three months after implementing PlanSource.
- Time management is a snap (well, a click to be more accurate) — time cards have been removed from the equation. With PlanSource, it’s easy for CNRG to manage schedules, optimize employee shifts, track PTO and ACA compliance.
View of HR and Benefits
“PlanSource was the only platform that could deliver the full package. It is a solid company with a stable platform that is scalable and has the depth and breadth to take us to the next level.”
President of Central Network Retail Group